If you are looking for a snack which is easy to make, very healthy and delicious at the same time, you will definitely have to try these oatmeal energy bites. They taste like cookies, they are no-bake and kids also love them. Can you think of anything better than feed your children with healthy snacks instead of processed foods full of preservatives?
Furthermore, besides the basic recipe, you may try adding any ingredient/add-in (nuts, seeds, dried fruits or chocolate chips) you like. Just use your imagination!
You only need 7 simple ingredients, a bowl and a wooden spoon. They are vegan, gluten free, lightly sweet and very tasty! You can keep them in the fridge for over a week, or you can take them with you at your office as a super-healthy snack, full of fiber, protein and healthy fats.
And the best part? It only takes 10 minutes to make them!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup peanut butter or almond butter
- 1/3 cup Organic fir honey or maple syrup if vegan
- ½ cup almond meal (or any other nuts you like- I used almonds)
- ½ cup shredded coconut (or flaxeeds or chia seeds or a mix of them)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup chocolate chips or chopped driet (fruits such as raisins, cranberries, blueberries).
- In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients (oats, coconut, almonds, dried fruits, salt, cinnamon, vanilla, etc).
- Add the nut butter and the honey and mix very well with a spatula (use your hands if you like) until all the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- If your mixture does not come together as a ball, add more nut butter or honey.
- Make small bites/balls with your hands and put them in an airtight bowl in the refrigerator. Leave them for at least one hour to firm up.
- Keep the energy bites in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks!
Molecular biologist - nutritionist