Sometimes, salads can taste so great that they can replace a whole meal! To be honest, salad can easily be considered as a whole meal, as long as we add in the right ingredients.
I love to make a rich salad, with lots of fresh vegetables and seasonal fruits, then add a source of protein and some extra virgin greek organic olive oil and have a full healthy meal.
Today, we will make a wonderful salad with fresh vegetables, fresh seasonal fruits and my favourite quinoa.
Quinoa belongs to the class of pseudo-cereals and is grown in distant Andes. It is very rich in vitamins and trace elements, does not contain gluten and can easily substitute rice in our diet. It has high protein content, fiber, potassium, magnesium, iron, zinc and B-complex vitamins. Moreover, it is easily digestible and has a low glycemic index. You may eat it as a main dish, or as a side dish for your fish or chicken etc. Use your imagination and quinoa can make the most delicious and healthy dishes. It is a very balanced and complete food.
In our salad, we will combine quinoa with seasonal fruits, such as pomegranate and tangerine. Both are slightly acidic and fit great in salads and cold plates. We do not need to mention the nutrition value of these two fruits. Pomegranate is, not only very tasty but also very rich in antioxidants, potassium, magnesium and vitamin C.
My favorite tangerine on the other hand, is rich in vitamin C, vitamin A, potassium and calcium and gives a sense of freshness to our salad. It also helps the absorption of iron (from quinoa) due to its high vitamin C content.
Finally, we will add chopped almonds and we will give an extra refreshing flavor by adding some of my favorite spread with orange, gojiberries and asteroid anise.
For the salad, you'll need:
- 1 cup rinsed quinoa
- 1 cup fresh vegetables –spinach, arugula
- 1 shredded carrot
- 1 cup pomegranate
- 2 small tangerines –without pits and peels
- ½ green onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp of fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp of fresh coriander
- ½ cup of coarsed almonds
- Zest of one lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the dressing you'll need:
- ½ cuporganic extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of a lemon
- 2 cups of spread oforange-gojiberry-asteroid aniseed spread .
- Rinse the quinoa, strain and boil in hot water (you can add chicken broth for extra flavor) in a 1: 2 ratio for about 10-15 minutes, on medium heat. If necessary, strain at the end of cooking.
- In the meantime, take a large bowl and add the vegetables, onion, pomegranate, tangerine and chopped almonds.
- When ready, add the quinoa (allow cool for 10 minutes before adding to the bowl).
- Add the orange-flavored dressing
- Enjoy a great meal.
Type: You can enrich your recipe with roasted chicken or grated goat cheese.
Enjoy your amazing salad!
Molecular biologist - nutritionist