It’s Breakfast o’clock!
You can now make your own healthy granola and enjoy it every single morning.
As we all know, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It stimulates our metabolism and gives us the energy we need for the rest of the day. Many scientific studies have shown that people who eat breakfast have limited possibilities to gain weight and to over-consume calories throughout the day.
So, let's try to make our own granola!
What is granola? These are oatmeal breakfast cereals, to which we add nuts of our choice, dried fruits and spices. Granola is rich in fiber, vitamins and antioxidants, free from preservatives and excess quantities of processed sugar that are used to having the commercial cereal we use to consume.
This will be our homemade granola that we can consume every day adding yogurt or milk for a healthy, nutritious and delicious breakfast.
How do we make it?
step 1ο: First of all, we must buy rolled oats (preferably not instant oats).
step 2ο: We choose the nuts we like (in this step, use your imagination). Personally, I prefer raw almonds, walnuts, cashews and flaxseed. Nuts will provide us with energy and healthy fats (Ω-3) and will keep us full for a few hours.
step 3ο: We choose dried fruits that we like raisins, blueberries, helmets, dried apricots figs or dill. Prefer those without adding sugar. Chocolate enthusiasts can add drops of dark chocolate.
step 4ο: You will need some oil for the baking (try the organic extra virgin olive oil) and some honey to add a bit of sweetness in your granola.
4 cups rolled oats (almost 350gr)
½ cup organic honey
½ cup of organic olive oil
2 mugs (280g) nuts (almonds, walnuts, linseed, sunflower, pumpkin seeds, pecan nuts) and whatever else you like
2 cups dried fruits (no sugar added).
Pinch of salt
1 tsp cinnamon, ground ginger, turmeric, cardamom.
2 tsp of vanilla extract.
- In a bowl, mix all the solid materials (not the fruits), that is oats, nuts (broken), salt, cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, we combine all the dry ingredients (except from the fruits and/or chocolate chips) that means the oats, the nuts, salt and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, we mix all the wet ingredients –honey, olive oil, vanilla extract (you may need to heat the honey a little bit).
- We now combine both mixtures (use your hands).
- Pour the mixture into a pan (with parchment paper) and bake for 180-20 minutes, stirring in the meantime to achieve an even colour.
- In 15 for approx. Minutes of baking, mix the mixture on the baking dish and spread it out again carefully to ensure it is cooked evenly. Once the mixture is gold, remove from the oven, sprinkle with the dried fruit (or chocolate pieces) and let it cool completely without mixing it.
- Once cool, mix and put in airtight bowl for better preservation.
- Enjoy in the morning with milk (I use almond or coconut milk) or with greek yogurt.
TIP: Extra tip: Add fresh fruits (I usually use banana or berries) in your breakfast bowl to enjoy a healthy and delicious breakfast.
Molecular biologist - nutritionist