It’s Breakfast o’clock!
You can now make your own healthy granola and enjoy it every single morning.
As we all know, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It stimulates our metabolism and gives us the energy we need for the rest of the day. Many scientific studies have shown that people who eat breakfast are less likely to gain weight and to over-consume calories throughout the day.
So, let's try to make our own granola!
Granola is breakfast cereal made from oats, nuts and seeds, dried fruits and spices. I'is full of fiber, vitamins and antioxidants. It has no preservatives and is refined sugar free, contrary to the ones we usually buy from supermarket.
This will be our homemade granola that we can consume every day adding yogurt or milk for a healthy, nutritious and delicious breakfast.
How do we make it?
step 1οFirst of all, we must buy rolled oats (preferably not instant oats)
step 2ο: Choose the nuts you like (just use your imagination). Personally, I prefer raw almonds, walnuts, cashews and flaxseed. Nuts will provide us with energy and healthy fats (Ω-3) and will keep your stomach full for a few hours.
step 3ο: You can choose dried fruits such as raisins, cranberries, blackberries, figs or dates. Look for sugar free products. You may add some chocolate chips if you love having chocolate in the morning.
step 4ο: You will need some oil for the baking (try the organic extra virgin olive oil) and some honey to add a bit of sweetness in your granola.
4 cups rolled oats (almost 350gr)
½ cup organic honey
½ cup of organic olive oil
2 cups (280g) nuts (almonds, walnuts, linseed, sunflower, pumpkin seeds, pecan nuts) or anything else you like
2 cups dried fruits (no sugar added).
Pinch of salt
1 tsp cinnamon, ground ginger, turmeric, cardamom.
2 tsp of vanilla extract.
- Preheat your oven to a hundred and eighty degrees celcious
- In a large bowl, we combine all the dry ingredients (except from the fruits and/or chocolate chips) .
- In a separate bowl, we mix all the wet ingredients –honey, olive oil, vanilla extract (you may need to heat the honey a little bit)
- We now combine both mixtures (use your hands)
- Pour the mixture into a pan (with parchment paper) and bake for 180-20 minutes, stirring in the meantime to achieve an even colour.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool completely. Now, you can add the dried fruits.
- When the granola is ready, store it in a bowl to keep it crunchy.
- Enjoy your healthy breakfast by adding some milk (I use almond or coconut milk) or some greek yogurt.
TIP: Extra tip: Add fresh fruits (I usually use banana or berries) in your breakfast bowl to enjoy a healthy and delicious breakfast.
Molecular biologist - nutritionist