I've been wanting to try this recipe for some time but I postponed it for many reasons. This time, the four ripe bananas I had in my kitchen inspired me to give it a shot!
I strongly believe that we should never throw away food - there is always a nice way to use it!
Banana bread is very popular abroad. Bananas are the main ingredient and there are many different versions of this cake-like bread.
We will make a very healthy version with superfood which is also light and really tasty! It doesn't contain processed flour and it is dairy-free, egg-free and butter-free! I am sure you wonder, “So, what’s in it?” Hmm, this is the best part!
Bananas are among the most popular and delicious fruits worldwide. They have unlimited uses in pastry, they are very nutritious and rich in potassium (a mineral essential for our heart health and blood pressure control).
They are also rich in vitamins and antioxidants and research studies have shown that the more ripe the bananas are, the more beneficial they become for our health!
Oats are one of my favorite ingredients with many health benefits. Great source of fibres, vitamins and potassium. Fibres help us maintain a healthy body weight and they regulate blood glucose levels. In this recipe, oats replace the white flour that is usually used.
Almonds are very rich in vitamin E, a very powerful antioxidant which protects human body from free radicals. Moreover, almonds are rich in fibres and unsaturated fatty acids, so they fill us up in the most healthy way!
- Chia seeds
Chia seeds soaked in water can be used as egg-substitutes in baking. They help the mixture hold together and act as a binder in baked goods (alternatively you may use flax seeds).
Also, chia seeds are very high in protein, fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. In addition, they are a very good source of calcium, iron, magnesium and very rich in antioxidants.
After all these benefits, you should definitely try the most healthy and delicious banana bread. I am sure you will love it, as much as I do.
- 2 cups oat flour
- 2 cups ground almonds
- 4 medium size bananas mashed (very ripe)
- 2 chia seed eggs (6 tbsp chia seeds soaked in 15 tbsp of water)
- ¼ cup of plant-based oil (coconut oil, almond-oil, olive-oil)
- 2/3 cup rice syrup (or agave/ maple syrup)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Chocolate chips (optional)
- Prepare the chia seed egg and allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix in a bowl the oat flour, ground almonds, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl mix together the mashed bananas, the rice syrup, vanilla extract and the chia seed eggs until well combined.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet and mix well. In this step, feel free to add chocolate chips (about 3 tbsp) if you want to add a chocolate flavor to your banana bread.
- Place the mixture in a bread pan with parchment paper and top with some more chocolate chips.
- Bake in a preheat oven in 180 degrees C for about 45-50 minutes, or until your knife runs clean.
- Let it cool and enjoy plain or with toppings of your choice (fresh fruits, nuts or whipped cream/yogurt).
Molecular biologist - nutritionist