I've been wanting to try this recipe for some time but I postponed it for many reasons. This time, the four ripe bananas I had in my kitchen inspired me to give it a shot!
I strongly believe that we should never throw away food - there is always a nice way to use it!
Banana bread is very popular abroad. Bananas are the main ingredient and there are many different versions of this cake-like bread.
We will make a very healthy version with superfood which is also light and really tasty! It doesn't contain processed flour and it is dairy-free, egg-free and butter-free! I am sure you wonder, “So, what’s in it?” Hmm, this is the best part!
Bananas are among the most popular and delicious fruits worldwide. They have unlimited uses in pastry, they are very nutritious and rich in potassium (a mineral essential for our heart health and blood pressure control).
It is also a rich source of vitamins and antioxidants and researches have shown that the more mature the banana, the more beneficial it is for the human organism!
Favorite material with many health benefits. Oats are a rich source of fiber, vitamins and potassium. Fibers contribute to the regulation of body weight and the regulation of blood glucose levels. In our recipe we replace the processed white flour usually used.
Almonds are very rich in vitamin E, a very powerful antioxidant which protects human body from free radicals. Moreover, almonds are rich in fibres and unsaturated fatty acids, so they fill us up in the most healthy way!
- Seeds chia
Chia seeds soaked in water can be used as egg-substitutes in baking. They help the mixture hold together and act as a binder in baked goods (alternatively you may use flax seeds).
Also, chia seeds are very high in protein, fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. In addition, they are a very good source of calcium, iron, magnesium and very rich in antioxidants.
After all these benefits, you should definitely try the most healthy and delicious banana bread. I am sure you will love it, as much as I do.
- 2 cups oat flour
- 2 cups ground almonds
- 4 medium size bananas mashed (very ripe)
- 2 Mr. Soupas chia seeds soaked in 6 and soup water (to stay 15 minutes to inflate).
- ¼ cup vegetable oil (olive oil, grape seed oil, almond oil, coconut oil, etc.)
- 2/3 cup rice syrup (or agave/ maple syrup)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Chocolate chips (optional)
- Prepare the chia seed egg and allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a large bowl mix the oat flour, the grated almonds (after you have rubbed them in the blender), cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda.
- In another bowl melt the bananas well with a fork and add the oil, rice syrup, vanilla extract and chia seeded chia. Stir well.
- Add the contents to the bowl of solids and mix well with a ladle. Optionally at this point you can add drops of chocolate (3 tablespoons).
- Place the mixture in a bread pan with parchment paper and top with some more chocolate chips.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips or grated almond and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 45-50 minutes or until the knife comes out of your mix.
- Allow to cool and enjoy either plain or garnish (eg fresh fruit-nuts, whipped cream / yoghurt).
Molecular biologist - nutritionist